Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 08-15-2022: Patio Ready for Family Dinner, All-Class Reunion Meeting, Light Family Dinner in the Cool Air

1. Ron came over this afternoon and put the finishing touches on the patio and he declared the concrete sufficiently cured for us to put our patio furniture back on it.  He and I did just that. 

I had volunteered to host family dinner tonight so we could "break in" the patio and I was elated with Ron's assessment that the patio was party ready.

2. At 6:30 tonight, Carol, Paul, Christy, and I attended the August meeting of the All-Class Reunion general committee. Turnout for previous meetings hadn't been good. I was part of that problem. I hadn't been to one of these meetings while working on the KHS Class of '72 50 year reunion. If more people didn't step forward tonight to help out, chances are good the 2023 KHS All-Class Reunion would have been canceled. 

To everyone's delight and relief, over twenty-five people attended tonight's meeting. Lori Sawyer called the meeting to order and before long we marched through the agenda, mostly focusing on calling for volunteers to head up different committees.

As a result, most of the committees have a chair. A tentative schedule for reunion events is taking shape. 

The meeting was a great success and we'll be getting the word out that the All-Class Reunion will happen on July 21, 22, and 23, 2023.

3. Christy, Carol, and Paul came over to the new patio after the meeting. I mixed some cocktails. Gibbs, Riley, and Cleo played in the yard. I had set up a card table and it was buffet central. I set out cheese, crackers, cashews, and apple slices along with a pasta salad. I combined parts of the Persian tomato/cucumber salad recipe I made last Monday with parts of the recipe Tomato Bruschetta Sauce pasta dish I made two weeks ago and created a hybrid pasta salad. Carol and Paul brought a chuck roast with taco seasoning and tortillas along with condiments and I set out a bottle of red and one of white wine.  For dessert, Christy brought really delicious Haagen Dazs ice cream bars. 

The air had cooled considerably as we dug into our meal, making it very comfortable to be out on the patio. We had a lot to talk about having just been to the reunion meeting. We also discussed some family and Kellogg history and because Carol and Paul had just watched The Godfather, we talked about what a sensational movie it is. 

We even talked a little bit about my favorite movie and television actor, Eve Arden. I confessed my admiration for her work and the affection I have felt for her that reaches back over sixty years. 

No comments: