Thursday, August 25, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 08-24-2022: And When I Die, BBQ Delivery with Ed, Watching *Blithe Spirit* (1945)

 1. I was crazy about the album Blood, Sweat & Tears when it was released in 1969. Today one song from that album, "And When I Die" stood out to me today. I didn't think to have Alexa play it while I reviewed my Oregon state pension account, did some reading about Social Security, made sure all was in order over at AAA Life, and made contact with a guy at Equitable. I spent much of the day assuring myself that these things will be in order when I die, especially if I go before Debbie. I have more to do, but I got quite a bit done and conveyed quite a bit of information to Debbie.

2. Ed and I blasted over to Garren Taylor's BBQ food truck on Hill Street (GarrenTeed BBQ) to pick up an order for a social gathering up Pine Creek. Garren's dad, Dave, was at the truck and Ed and I talked with him while Garren got the hot box we were to deliver filled with trays of meat, beans, and macaroni and cheese. The delivery was a total success, the customers were very happy to have their food arrive, and Ed and I had a fun time yakkin' about all kinds of stuff going out and coming back. 

Originally, we were going to have a beer after we returned the hot box and gave Garren his customers' payment, but I hadn't eaten, so I asked to go home and I enjoyed a bowl of the cucumber, carrot, apple, garlic, cilantro, and rice vinegar chopped salad I'd made earlier in the day, but hadn't sampled yet. 

3. I so much enjoyed watching The Card on Tuesday night that this evening I thought it would be fun to watch another classic British comedy. In the reading about movies I've done recently, several classic movie lovers have praised the work of David Lean. 

I decided to watch Lean's direction of Blithe Spirit (1945) and it was perfect as just the kind of snappily written (by Noel Coward) and superbly photographed and acted comic movie I was looking for. In particular, I loved Margaret Rutherford's performance as the eccentric medium, Madame Arcati, and I've decided that I'm going to see if I can rent or stream the four Miss Marple movies she starred in between 1961 and 1964.

Watching this supernatural farce and its hilarious complications brought back a memory. I might not have this 100% correct, but my memory tells me that back in about 1980, John, Barbara, my first wife, and I went to an outdoor performance of Blithe Spirit at the University of Oregon. I am almost positive that Jacquie Mcclure, whom I would later work with as an instructor at LCC, played the role of Madame Arcati. I hope it was Jacquie. I laughed and laughed and laughed during that production and I deeply want to believe that Jacquie, who died in 2012, was the actor who so energetically and absurdly made me laugh so hard that summer night. 

No comments: