Monday, August 5, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 08-04-2024: Trying to Understand the USA, Travel Plans and Questions, Copper's Increasing Contentment

1. Bill, Diane, and I jumped on ZOOM this morning and enjoyed a wide-ranging discussion. Bill and Diane talked about the Olympics, they told me about the video tape of the Songs of Bill Davie benefit concert I got to attend last March, Great Courses Bill and Diane are taking online, and we spent quite a bit of time talking about Leah Sottile's reading list and what moves me to read books and listen to podcasts as much as I do about white power movements, events, and prominent people, especially, but not exclusively, in the western USA.  

I'm not moved by ideology. 

I am moved by trying to understand the USA. 

Making an effort to understand the USA is a bewildering,  humbling, and complex undertaking, way bigger than I can comprehend, so I try to understand chunks. 

It's the best I can do.

2. Debbie tried to travel eastward a couple of weeks or so ago and her itinerary collided with the global tech outage and Delta canceled her flights and Debbie decided not to reschedule at that time. 

Now, she's going to try again at the end of this week to travel to New York and Virginia for a couple of weeks to visit Adrienne's family and then Molly's. 

Debbie and I talked at length today about some of the logistics of her trip and of what I'll need to do to here at home, especially when it comes to taking care of Copper and Gibbs. 

No sweat. 

We also pondered when we might be able to travel together. 

It's the same (old? tired old?) story driven by how steadily or how unsteadily I regain as much immunity as I'm going to. 

For now, I'm hoping that I'll make enough progress in the next six or seven weeks to participate to some degree in the 70th birthday party a bunch of us have planned in Montana, even if I only go over for the birthday dinner and don't spend either night over there.

Since last April, I've had, along with my pals, three nights reserved at the Wildhorse Resort for the first three nights of October.

Weekdays at Wildhorse are not crowded. Wildhorse is a 100% non-smoking resort. It will be nearly five months since my surgery. In addition, when we go to Wildhorse, I always spend quite a bit of time away from the resort. 

Will I go? 

It's all up in the air. 

I always lean heavily toward caution.

I do know, though, that a return to social settings and enjoying my friends lies out there in a to be determined future. 

It's just a matter of how my system continues to recover and adjusts to this new organ in my body. 

3. In the bedroom, I have a wide, roomy closet. I leave a cloth laundry bag, collapsed on the floor.

Copper loves to lie and sleep on this bag.

With the gate/barrier up that confines Gibbs to the living room and keeps Copper and Gibbs from encountering each other, Copper has easy access to both the bedroom and the Vizio room, easy access to his litter pan, and is living his best life ever since moving into our home.

Debbie reconfigured his litter pan in a way that he loves. He not only uses it all the time, he keeps his offerings in the pan. I am trusting him more and more not to do his business outside the pan and that this part of his life is going so well indicates to me that he's very content with this arrangement we've arrived at. 

The best breakthrough came when Nurse Angela told me that being physically close to Copper was not risky for me, a reversal of what I'd been told when I first came back home. That Copper and I can be together (when he chooses to be near me!), that he can move freely between the two rooms, that he is so comfortable sleeping on the laundry bags all means that Copper is living a very good life now. 

Copper's happiness makes me very happy. 



No comments: