Saturday, August 10, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 08-09-2024: Debbie Lands In Newark, Lunch at Great Harvest, First Night Alone with Gibbs and Copper

1. Finally. 

Success. 

Debbie has tried to travel this summer with mixed success. She flew to Juneau. She canceled going to Fairbanks twice. In July, she was all set to fly to Chicago, but her flight coincided with that global tech outage and the ensuing chaos, so she canceled that trip. 

Debbie had a flight scheduled today to Newark. Her flight coincided with Tropical Storm Debby (not Debbie) moving into the New Jersey/New York area. Delta notfied Debbie with a warning that the storm could disrupt Delta's flight schedules and that she should pay attention to the status of her Friday flights.

By about 11 a.m. this morning, Debbie hadn't heard any discouraging news from Delta, so I drove Debbie to the Spokane airport. Once there, Debbie dashed inside and I parked in the cell phone parking lot.

Debbie talked to a Delta employee who assured her that her flight to Minneapolis and then her flight to Newark were scheduled to proceed.

Debbie texted me that news.

I headed out. 

And, lo and behold, shortly after 9:30 this evening, Pacific Standard Time, Debbie landed in Newark and after a drive from Newark to Valley Cottage, NY, she arrived at Adrienne, Josh, Jack, and Ellie's home. 

That sound you just heard wasn't a high wind blast from a tropical storm in Kellogg.

It was my heavy sigh of relief. 

2. I decided to lollygag, dawdle, dilly dally for a while before blasting back to Kellogg. 

I drove straight to Great Harvest, not remembering if an egg salad sandwich was on their lunch menu. 

It wasn't. 

No problem. 

Instead I ordered their Pepper Bleu Roast Beef sandwich on Honey Wheat bread and sat a table in the shade outside the shop and slowly savored every bite of this delicious lunch. 

I also bought a loaf of Dakota Wheat Bread. Soon this bread will host an egg salad sandwich. 

My lunch stop was perfect. 

I felt safe in the shop. A handful of people were eating lunch and were spread throughout the store. I could eat outside in the shade. It was warm out, but not at all uncomfortably hot, so I was comfortable and I felt safe from exposure to infection. 

Yahoo!

3. Back home, I now face the challenge of keeping both Gibbs and Copper company by myself. Gibbs is nearly inseparable from Debbie. As a substitute for her, I fall far short. (No problem. I'll do my best.) Since I got clearance from the transplant team earlier this summer to be in Copper's company, Copper has been much happier and he loves being able to move freely in his area of the ground floor. 

Gibbs will now sleep by himself at night in the living room and he was quiet and content all through Friday night. If this pattern continues throughout Debbie's absence, Gibbs, Copper, and I are going to get along just fine and Gibbs will survive Debbie being away -- he will, however, for the next two weeks be at the window all through the day, looking for Debbie to return! 


No comments: