Saturday, August 31, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 08-30-2024: RIP Don Knott, Back to the Fitness Center, Skirt Steak Salad

1. Over the years, here at this blog, I've written many times about Don Knott. Don and I became friends when I lived uptown on East Portland not too far from where he lived on Park. I always remember that when our family moved, in 1962, from East Portland to West Cameron (where Debbie and I live now), the first guys from the neighborhood I left to come and see me were Don Knott and Elvin Hansen. 

My friendship with Don grew over the years at the YMCA, as basketball teammates, golfers together, as baseball competitors in Little League and Babe Ruth and teammates on the Silver Valley's American Legion team. We both worked at the Zinc Plant. After I moved away from Kellogg, I often visited Don when I came home to Kellogg. Starting about ten or so years ago, when Don still lived in Kellogg at Penny Lane, the patio behind his house became the gathering place of the Hall of Fame of Great Guys. 

Don moved to Lewiston and I moved to Kellogg and so I saw Don when he visited up here and I joined other members of the Hall of Fame of Great Guys for a couple of road trips to Lewiston and burgers and beers at Effie Tavern. 

About a year ago, on September 14, 2023 to be exact, Don texted me. He was in town. He and Jake were going to meet at Sam's for breakfast before playing golf. Don invited me to join them. 

That was the last time I saw Don. 

Not long after that visit to Kellogg, Don became ill. Through Stu and then through a November lunch with Don's sister Shelley, I found out that Don had contracted a very serious case of cancer and had moved to Portland where he could be close to Beth, his daughter, and could be treated at the Oregon Health and Science University. 

From talking with Stu and Shelley, the message I heard was that Don wanted to keep his medical situation as private as he could. 

Out of respect for what I understood his wishes to be, I didn't write about Don's illness on this blog nor did I send out emails to the Class of 72 reporting on his condition. Anything I learned about Don, I kept to myself. 

Today, August 30, 2024, Don died in Portland at about 6:30 a.m.

I messaged Shelley my condolences and wondered if it would be all right if I emailed the news to the people on my Class of 72 email list. At first, Shelley asked me to wait, but a little later she decided letting people know was a good idea. 

I sent out the email. I've received heart warming emails and messages in return. Stu and I have messaged thoughtfully, even reverently, back and forth about Don.

I've replayed countless things Don and I did together over the last six decades or so, remembering games we competed in, serious conversations, drunken misadventures when we were young, and what a fun and generous friend Don was for essentially my entire life. 

Terry Turner said it just right: It's a sad day in Wildcat land. 

2. I returned to the Fitness Center this afternoon and it felt great to get back on the two machines I favor and not only exercise, but to not feel any pain or discomfort in my surgery site. Every day I grow more and more confident that if the surgery site isn't completely healed, it's really close. 

3. I tried out something new in the kitchen around lunch time. I cut up the unused half of the Trader Joe's Sesame and Teriyaki Beef Skirt Steak and cooked those pieces. I let them cool and added them to a fresh and crispy green salad and thoroughly enjoyed this salad. I'm thinking that next time I do some mad shopping for unnecessary items at Trader Joe's, I'll purchase another one of these Asian flavored skirt steaks. It's versatile. 


No comments: