Saturday, August 17, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 08-15-2024: Fob Battery Replaced Finally, Quick Trip to Riverstone, Brief Contact with Leah Sottile and Another Booklist

1. When it comes to fixing things or replacing batteries, especially if the task requires small motor skills, I have subzero confidence. About two weeks ago, a message flashed inside the Camry informing me that my fob's battery was low. I was in Spokane. Back home, I consulted a video online demonstrating how to open the back of the fob, remove the battery, and replace it. 

I watched the video about five times over the next 7-10 days.

Today, I took the plunge. 

I watched the video again. I then replayed it, stopping at crucial moments, and did my best to imitate what the guy in the video did.

I experienced a couple of small setbacks, but, eventually I succeeded! 

I took the fob out to the garage to test it. 

It worked! 

2. I wouldn't say I'm feeling restless after spending quite a bit of time in the house since the transplant. More positively, I'm feeling like getting out a bit more while, at the same time, doing all I can to protect myself from catching any bugs other people might, without knowing it, be spreading. 

I drove to Coeur d'Alene today. I went to the Well Read Moose bookstore for a quick visit, masked. 

I have been listening to Timothy Egan's audio presentation of his Fever in the Heartland, but decided I wanted to have the book in front of me, when possible, to follow along and to be able to read back and forth, making sure I have names and other details firmly established in my mind. 

I fired up the Sube and drove to Riverstone, walked a few blocks to the bookstore, made the purchase, and came home.

I returned to the audiobook when I went to bed tonight and having the hard copy in hand confirmed that I'd made a sound decision buying the book itself. 

3. I returned to reading my way through Leah Sottile's list of great 21st century books today and started Sharma Shield's novel, The Cassandra. Over at Substack, coincidentally, Leah Sottile posted a link to a list of 21st century books published by Pacific Northwest writers. The list came out of the Spokane Public Library and, lo and behold, the writer of the list was Sharma Shields! 

Leah Sottile expressed gratitude that Sharma Shields had included Sottile's gripping book, When the Moon Turns to Blood, on her list.s

I decide to comment on Leah Sottile's Substack note about Sharma Shields' Spokane Public Library booklist. 

I thanked her for posting this extensive list of books and I told Leah Sottile that I was reading my way through her list, that I'd completed three of her recommendations and was starting the fourth (Sharma Shields' The Cassandra)

Leah Sottile's response? She wrote, "Incredible!", expressing delight that someone (me, as it turns out) was enjoying her recommendations. 

It was fun having a brief interchange with Leah Sottile. 

If you'd like to see Sharma Shields' booklist, written for the Spokane Public Library, just click here

Sharma Shields' The Cassandra, by the way, is set in the mid-1940s. The main character, Mildred Groves, from Omak, WA, landed a job at the emerging Hanford Research Center, ran away from home to start the job, and so I'll be reading a Spokane author's book about a young woman with paranormal powers working to help save the world, or so she's told, at the Hanford project. 


No comments: