Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 12/11/07: Drive-By Coffee, Finished, Being and Nothingness at the 7-11

1. Jeff and Margaret and I had a lively cup of coffee this morning. Margaret had to leave early and Jeff and I had a rousing discussion of Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, The Allman Brothers, The Drive-by Truckers and other music and musicians. I hope we didn't bother other coffee drinkers. We were getting kind of loud in our enthusiasms.

2. I finished grading papers and posted grades for my three sections of WR 121. I am no longer under the avalanche.

3. I dropped by 7-11 around nine o'clock this evening to pick up a Diet Pepsi and Saab was working the counter with Walter Kauffman's classic study, Existentialism from Dostoevsky to Sartre lying in front of him, ready to be read during lulls in the 7-11 action. I did the obvious. I looked around the store, noted the young frantic mother with two cold children, the whacked out guy trying to figure out how to buy cigarettes, and the fellow in front of me in line scanning the Maxim cover on the magazine rack. The 7-11 is existentialism unplugged.

No comments: