Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 12/12/07: The Dead, Deep Reading, The Playlist

1. After driving to Corvallis to watch the beguiling and exhilarating movie "I'm Not There", Kelly and I had a fine meal at the Firkin and Fox and swapped Grateful Dead show stories and fired each other up with our affection for the band and its music.

2. I read more of my students' WR 121 retrospective essays and enjoyed the quiet satisfaction of learning that the course helped my students read books in a deeper, more satisfying way than most of them had ever done before. Most of my students had never read books with an eye to the the way stories explore shared human experience. Most had previously thought, for example, that to read a book about a rancher's experiment raising buffalo was book about buffaloes and not much else. Now they know that such a book can help them explore their own experiences with loss, survival, and reconciliation, even though, on the surface, the book seems to be about a subject they have nothing in common with.

3. I discovered a blog that reports on all kinds of news about movies and their music. It's called The Playlist. Check it out here.

No comments: