Sunday, May 18, 2008

Recurring Dreams

I have two recurring dreams. I might have written about one of these before, but it puzzles enough that I'm writing about it anyway.

I dream about playing golf a lot. It's always the same situation, but in different locations. I try to hit a golf shot and some obstacle is always in my way. I have to hit a drive through a slightly opened window or there's a structure in my way. Sometimes it's a tree.

I also dream about golf courses. They are always a combination of different golf courses I've played or seen on television, so that the golf course in Pinehurst, Idaho is combined with Indian Canyon in Spokane which is combined with Liberty Lake. The courses are impossible. In this one dream, the landing area for my second shot on a par 5 was a little isthmus surrounded by a stinky lagoon.

In none of these dreams do I hit a successful shot. It's like I've been sentenced to a purgatory of impossible golf shots.

The other recurring dream I have involves going from one place to another and in order to get there I have to walk through a stranger's house.

I didn't think much about this dream when I first had it a few months ago. I was in Kellogg, on Market Street, and I walked in the front door of someone's house and a couple were seated in the living room and I told them not to worry, I was just passing through, and they nodded, watching television.

Two nights ago this dream took an odd twist. I was out walking on a closed highway and over a bridge that had been closed with grass growing though its unused cracked asphalt. I looked down a trail just off the bridge and as far as I could see was lush jungle vegetation on both sides of a hiking trail and the trail was brightly lit with lights located near the ground.

Once I crossed the bridge, I had to enter a stranger's house to get where I was going. I opened their back door, started through the kitchen, and as I strolled through the living room, reassuring the residents that I was just passing through, I suddenly realized I was packing a bag of golf clubs that rattled with my every step.

When I dream these dreams, I can hear a voice in my conscious mind say, "Here we go again."

3 comments:

MGM said...

Okay, so I didn't know what to do with all this except giggle to myself.

Dreams are interesting. I usually think they relate to some issue we haven't thoroughly consciously resolved or processed, and so we continue processing them in a more "un-conscious" state. Sometimes I think they can be issues we haven't allowed ourselves to process sufficiently consciously, and sometimes I think they are simply the result of stream of un-censored thinking that serves to help our mind "unwind."

I hope it's okay that your description of the dreams made me giggle.

Anonymous said...

I read Freud's book on dream analysis in 1970 and don't remember much of it except my impression at the time that this brilliant man was guessing at the meaning of dreams just like the rest of us. It seems reasonable that dreams are metaphoric reactions to thoughts and anxieties experienced during our waking hours.They may represent some sort of self help therapy that has evolved in us.

Your dreams about having to pass through living rooms of strangers to get to a destination may be metaphoric of your blogs. As an inviting reader I feel I know you as you pass through my living room but in my silence I remain a stranger to you.

raymond pert said...

Anonymous,

That's an intriguing interpretation. I buy it.

Thanks for leaving your comment and letting me know you come by and read what I write.