Friday, May 16, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 05/16/08: Metaphors, Assertive, You Are My Sunshine

1. I read my ENG 109 students' papers on their understanding of how metaphors take what is familiar and makes the familiar strange as a way of rearranging how we see things, of disrupting our usual perceptions. Their essays were stellar and I was very proud with how well they explained themselves and illustrated their insights with poem's and stories and film we've been studying.

2. Snug wants me to be more assertive with him so he knows better what to do. He needs my direction and today I did just that for him and I could see his face look more secure and happy.

3. I showed the film "You Are My Sunshine" to my students today and I think the story of the 1972 Sunshine Mine Fire and the way the survivors talked about it had a moving impact.

No comments: