Sunday, May 18, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 05/18/08: Walking Snug, Essays, Celtics

1. I took Snug for a walk today and he didn't growl and snarl and spit and leap up in the air and try to wrestle free from his leash when he saw a dog across the street. This is an improvement.

2. My WR 122 students had the option to write an essay exploring how their family history as affected their own attitudes about and relationship with work and with jobs. These essays were superb. So were the ones where students defined and explored what writer Mike Rose calls emotional intelligence in the workplace.

3. I listened to the Celtics and Cavs on the radio as they squared off in game 7 of the Eastern Conference semi-finals. For years, I was a Celtics fan and I rooted for the Celtics out of habit today. Truth be told, I haven't warmed up to this team. I don't know what it is. It might just be the curse of thinking everything was better when I was young and that there will never be teams like the Celtics I loved all through the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and on into the 90s. You know, it's never felt like Celtic basketball since Rick Pitino coached them and since they left the ancient ruins of the Boston Garden.

1 comment:

Go Figure said...

Amen, on the Celtics.