Sunday, June 1, 2008

Golf Dream Again

A couple nights ago I had another golf dream.

Somehow, I got permission to play on a U.S. Open course. It was unlike any earthly course.

The same themes of my other golf dreams recurred.

Prominent was a 600-650 yard par 5 hole. The tee box had an obstruction in front of it and so it was impossible to hit a full tee shot. All I could do was hit a chip shot down one side of the fairway. One golfer was so frustrated by the teeing area that he set his ball on a t-ball tee, about waist high, and tried to tee of with a club with a cream pie where the head of his driver should have been.

For my second shot, I had to hit a long shot to the crest of a hill. Once on the crest, I looked below and the largest water hazard I've ever seen stretched out before the green. Not only was it a water hazard, it was teeming with jungle animals, rhinos, crocodiles, and other nasty animals in the water and on the edges of the hazard were trees full of monkeys with lions underneath the trees shading themselves.

All I could do was hit a shot short of the water and once I got there, a bunch of other golfers were in the hazard, sometimes knee deep in muck, sidestepping hippos and water buffalo, trying to save a penalty stroke by hitting out of the shallow water and sticky mud.

From the front of the hazard, I hit a shot at what I thought was the green, but it wasn't the green. It was a false pin and the surface was concrete hard so that my ball hit it and ricocheted off the surface and bounced way over the real green.

I had to make my way around the water hazard and was mocked by monkeys and terrified by lions.

It seemed like over a dozen of us were all playing this hole at the same time. I found my ball and hit an approach on the real green and then putted dozens of times trying to finish out the hole.

The dream ended with it turning out that the course was Kellogg Golf Course in Pinehurst, Idaho. The clubhouse was the Kellogg clubhouse and I saw men from my teenage years who all played golf at Kellogg Golf Course, but everything else was unfamiliar and it was like I'd gone home only to find myself in an alien place.

1 comment:

myrtle beached whale said...

I have recurring golf dreams. One of which I can't get my tee into the ground and the ball to balance on it. I know there is an obvious Freudian interpretation. Other variations of this dream is that I lose my clubs, can't find the next teebox, or my ball is hopelessly lost. In all of these dreams the group I am with move on and I am left behind. Not the Kirk Cameron type of left behind but everybody plays through me.