Sunday, June 1, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 06/01/08: Weeping Camel, Meadow Romp, Frauds

1. A little over a week ago I showed the Mongolian movie The Story of the Weeping Camel to my World Literature class and today I've been reading my students' remarkable essays examining it. I am deeply impressed with how immersed they were in this slow paced, gorgeous movie. Many seemed relieved to see a movie that was such a radical departure from the movies they usually see at the multiplex.

2. Snug and I went to Westmoreland Park. Parts of the park grow wild with hip high grass and Snug loved tunneling through these park meadows, stimulated by the sweep against his coat and the variety of smells. I wished I could have let him off his leash so he could have really gone beserk.

3. I got detoured for a while today watching videos of James Randi debunking psychics and, most satisfying, the miracle healer televangelist Peter Popoff. These frauds don't have a chance when confronted by Randi's unrelenting rationalism.

No comments: