Sunday, June 15, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 06/15/08: Playoff, Elegance, Eloquence


1. Round 4 of the U.S. Open golf championship. XM Radio again. I kept thinking that Tiger Woods was going to figure out a way to win or tie the tournament. I know he's playing on fewer than two legs with his bum knee and I know he's never sure where his shots are going to land, but no one plays better when in trouble on a golf course than Tiger Woods. Sure enough. Tiger flopped around the whole course: he was in trees, ice plant, rough, and bunkers. But, on the 18th hole, after driving into a bunker, hitting a pretty lousy shank out of the bunker into the right rough, he managed to put spin on his third shot, lofted it to ten feet from the hole, birdied, and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

2. Karly enrolled in my WR 121 class fresh out of high school. She then took my WR 122 course in the winter. Now she's twenty-one and not a kid anymore and as I read her World Lit final exam today and admired her original thinking and her elegant prose, I took a minute and felt the pleasure of having a sense of how much she's grown as a person, thinker, and writer.

3. Marla is a few years older than I am and is getting serious about earning a B.A. degree. In my fall quarter WR 121 course she was an insecure nervous wreck about writing and the course helped settle her nerves and gain some confidence. Today I read her A+ final exam in World Literature. She's slowly but surely letting go of her anxiety and letting her intelligence occupy her mind and spirit instead of her fear. When this happens for a writer, the writing really takes off and Marla succeeded in writing a beautiful final. Her insights were unique and she wrote them with clarity and eloquence.

No comments: