Monday, June 9, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 06/09/08: Ghosts, GraceAnne, Roses

1. I'm reading my World Lit students' self-examination essays. In them, they explore ideas we have been studying, and rather than seeing them grow out of the literature we are studying, they examine how those ideas are alive in their own lives. So far, my favorite essays have been ones looking at ghosts. They aren't papers about supernatural beings, but about the way people who have died remain alive in memory and are present in important moments in these students' lives.

2. GraceAnne and I have been working together on her research paper over the last couple of weeks and today she finished it. It's a wonderful exploration of the relationship between consciousness, conscience, and contentment. Remarkably, she looks at the realities of social and economic class in relation to these ideas and makes it work. I've never read a paper quite like it and he work has enlarged my understanding of how to look at class in relation to the inward life.

3. An evening wind stirred our neighbor's roses as Snug and I walked by them and the fragrance, delicate, nearly lifted me off my feet.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I have had the same experience with the scent of iris in the yard and our house. There is actually snow advisories around the area tonight. Too weird.