Sunday, February 1, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 02/01/09: Gary's Coffee, Live Blogging, Super Bowl Supper

1. I dropped into Gary's Coffee at 5th and High for the first time just as it opened and the guy working there seemed anxious. I had on church clothes. I didn't think I presented danger. I awkwardly made my order, not knowing how things were done at Gary's. My ignorance relaxed him. He told me it was his first day working the shop alone. I told him it was my first time in the place and that he'd been a good teacher. As I left with my coffee, we told each other to have a good one about seven times.

2. I had a blast live blogging during the Super Bowl. I probably wrote more about the gut- wrenching experience I was having than what actually happened in the game.

3. I fixed myself the simplest of post-Super Bowl meals: a grilled bacon and sharp cheddar cheese and a bowl of tomato soup with saltine crackers. I know it pales in contrast to the BBQ ribs, pots of chili, appetizer spreads, chips and dips, pans of lasagna, pasta feeds, pizzas, and other ambitious party food others consumed today. I'm happy for all the mirth and good food people shared. But, I liked my sandwich and soup and crackers. A lot.

No comments: