Friday, November 8, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 11/07/19: Breakfast at Backcountry, Racking Up 50 Miles, Pendleton Prep and Rita

1. For the first time, I dropped in on the Backcountry Cafe in uptown Kellogg for breakfast. I had originally thought I'd drive out to the Rose Lake Restaurant because I needed to rack up fifty miles on my new snow tires and then have the wheels retorqued. On the spur of the moment, though, I decided to give this fairly new cafe a try. I ordered three pancakes, bacon, and eggs with a cup of coffee and water. I enjoyed my meal. The pancakes were fluffy. The eggs were fried just right and I like my bacon not really crisp and, without even asking, it came to me that way.

The best part of breakfast, though, was when Seth Dinger walked in and took table near mine. I hadn't seen him since the playoffs and the World Series and so we talked baseball. Seth shared his views on the Dodgers' loss to the Nats -- especially the way manager Dave Roberts bungled his pitching decisions. I agreed. And then we agreed again that Howie Kendrick is awesome. We wondered what will happen in the off season. Where will Gerrit Cole land? How about Anthony Rendon?

2.  I still needed to put those fifty miles on the new tires. I drove out McKinley all the way to Government Gulch and drove by where Silver King school used to be and on up to the old Zinc Plant and tried to get some bearings as to where different areas of the plant used to be. I came back down Government Gulch and then drove up into the knot of houses that sit across from where the school was and I couldn't place a thing -- it all seemed to different and I sighed and headed on out to Kingston and back tracked and drove over the freeway overpass near the Hilltop and made my way across the Cataldo Bridge, across the Cataldo Slough, and then at the Rose Lake interchange I headed back east on the freeway, came into Kellogg, and drove up Division Street to the top of Wardner. I still hadn't quite racked up 50 miles so I drove on the old highway out to NASCO, turned around, and headed back to Kellogg. As a result of all this wandering around, I exceeded fifty miles on the new tires and I stopped at Silver Valley Tires and got the wheels retorqued.

3. Back home, I packed my suitcase for my weekend in Pendleton. I ran a load of dishes. I changed the furnace's filter. I took Charly over the Carol and Paul's. I fixed myself a pot of pasta, diced tomatoes, and black beans topped with Parmesan cheese. Rita called me from Creswell and we yakked on the phone for nearly forty minutes. It was good to hear what she's been doing over the past few months and I updated her on some of the details of what's happening in my life.

I'm geared up for a fun-filled weekend.

No comments: