Friday, November 22, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 11/21/19: Scenic Drive, Being Still, Invent a Soup

1. I bounced out of the house around 9:45, hopped into the Sube, and blasted out to Kingston to Ed's house. We piled into his pickup and he drove us on old Highway 10, heading west, across the Cataldo Bridge and turned right soon after we crossed it. We were on the CCC Road. We cruised by the Mennonite Church and headed on up into the mountains on a rough road that took us by the Brett brothers' property and eventually wound up the hill and we enjoyed some spectacular views of the CdA River far below us. We eventually made our way to where Albert's Place used to be, drove on the Old River Road to the Bumblebee Bridge, crossed it, came back down the river, and returned to Kingston.

2. Back home, I just stopped moving. After two nights in Spokane, two nights of being out playing trivia, an 8 1/2 hour day of appointments at Sacred Heart Medical Center, a pretty intense viewing of Makoto Fujimura's works at Gonzaga, and a big gathering of people I've know for fifty or more years at Corby's, I just sat. I worked crosswords. I did some writing. I napped. I started a Thanksgiving shopping list. I took care of Charly. I was still.

3. My grocery supply is very low, but I didn't want to go to the store. So, I put a quart of beef stock in a pot, added sauteed onions and celery, a couple of chopped carrots, and a couple of sliced up potatoes and cooked these together. Later, I added some noodles. I seasoned the soup with different things and before long I had a simple and warming dinner that not only got me through the evening, but saved me from having to go to the store.

No comments: