Saturday, November 23, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 11/22/19: Ham and Eggs, Thanksgiving Plans Made, Haircut and Shopping Spree

1. Breakfast at Sam's was fun this morning. I had never ordered ham and eggs at Sam's before, so I gave them a try and, yeah, that worked. The mood at the table is lighter these days. With the colder weather upon us, things at work for Scott B., Ed, and Jerry have wound way down, lots of days off. But, once the snow arrives, it will be snow plowing time and with plowing comes a bank of fresh stories.

2. Today, Thanksgiving plans fell into place. Christy, Everett, and I already knew for sure that Molly and Travis would be coming for a Thanksgiving Eve dinner on Wednesday. Today I confirmed with Patrick that he and Megan are coming for dinner on Thursday. I went over to Christy's and we talked for a while. We had thought we might go up to the Lounge for the annual Thanksgiving spread, but decided that it would be fun to fix a dinner and eat it at my house (I'll be hosting dinners two nights in a row!). I'll be cooking salmon for Thanksgiving Eve and turkey for Thanksgiving Day.

3. So, I've seen some forecasts that report we might get some snow next week. It was clear out today. The roads were good. I decided to go to CdA, gas up the Sube, get a haircut, and do most, if not all, of my Thanksgiving shopping. I wanted to buy some non-food items (cocktail shaker, cocktail glasses, fat separator) so I decided to go to Fred Meyer. Freddy's didn't have a fat separator, but I bought salmon, a turkey breast, turkey drums and wings, and other groceries to cover the other things I'm making for Paul's birthday party on Sunday and the two dinners next week. I also made a quick stop at Pilgrim's to purchase some bagels and fresh herbs and I ended my spree at Costco where I purchased salmon burger patties, shrimp, paper towels, and toilet paper.

My drive over to CdA and back was very easy. I listened to a variety of musicians including Willie Nelson, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, and others sing their covers of about sixteen J J Cale songs on The Breeze: An Appreciation of J J Cale, an exquisite album recorded after Cale passed away. At Supercuts, I had a wonderful conversation with the woman who cut my hair. I enjoyed learning about how she was born in Hungary, adopted by a USA family, grew up on the East Coast, and, for a variety of reasons, moved out west and has settled in Coeur d'Alene. This all came up because she asked me about Christmas. I told her our family focuses on a different country for dinner every Christmas Eve and mentioned that, for a while, this year's country was going to be Hungary (I think it's up in the air now). When I told her that, I did not expect her response to be, "Oh! I was born in Hungary."

No comments: