Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 11/12/19: United Church Home Movie, Hamburger Soup, Great Pre-Conference College Basketball

1. I can't post it here, but, today, on Facebook among friends of mine, a home movie circulated. It was filmed by Ron Eggart on the day, in 1965, when the congregation of the United Church moved from its uptown location to the new church that had just been built on West Cameron, across the street from where my family lived (and where I live now). Early on in the movie, Stu and I make a brief appearance near the front door of the old church.

The movie is fun to watch for countless reasons, but, of all things, I enjoyed being reminded of how the property where the new church was built had been a rock field. From time to time, when we first moved into the Cameron house, I took a baseball bat across the street and tossed rocks up and whacked them with my bat and played out fantasy baseball games.

For many years, on the north side of that property, there was a ditch and sometimes, when I went to Sunday School or to Boy Scouts, I'd be lazy. Rather than walk down to the entrance to the parking lot, I would descend into the ditch and climb back up the other side. At some point, though, the ditch got filled in. Until today, I had forgotten that, at first, the new parking lot was unpaved, but it came back to me what a mess it was until the paving project improved it. 

2. The chilly rain that descended upon the Silver Valley today inspired me to brown a tube of ground beef in the Dutch oven, add chopped celery and onion, and salt it lightly,  pepper it heavily, and add a moderate amount of garlic powder.  Once the meat was brown and the celery and onion were tender, I poured beef broth I had recently made over it and added some chopped potato, a couple of chopped carrots, a bag of frozen green beans, and a bag of frozen corn. I shook my bottle of Worcestershire sauce over the liquid and added both oregano and Montreal steak seasoning. I brought this concoction to a slow boil and then turned the heat down to low, simmered the soup, and in a while it was ready to eat.

But I didn't eat much. Instead, I let it cool and put it in containers to put in the refrigerator. I'll eat some of it for lunch on Wednesday and I'll freeze some of it.

3. It's exciting to see that a number of excellent college basketball programs are scheduling challenging games early in the season. Tonight, the Gavitt Tipoff, matching Big Ten and Big East teams continued. I watched the Michigan Wolverines and the injury depleted Creighton Bluejays square off. Creighton played a great first half, but Michigan tightened its defense in the second half and won the game 79-69. I watched Michigan a lot last year and enjoyed seeing Xavier Simpson back on the maple again and I always enjoy watching Creighton and always wish they could build a slightly deeper roster.

Gonzaga hasn't played an equal opponent yet. Tonight, I strolled over to Christy and Everett's, enjoyed Christy's superb chili and cornbread, and watched the Zags demolish North Dakota. I left about half way through the first half, but I know from looking it up that the Zags defeated North Dakota 97-66.

I would have stayed for the entire Zags' game had it been competitive, but since it wasn't, back home I checked out the match up between the Oregon Ducks and Memphis Tigers, playing in the 2019 Phil Knight Invitational in Portland. I had fun watching the Ducks protect their lead all through the second half and especially enjoyed two critical treys Payton Pritchard converted late in the game to extend the Ducks' slim lead and, as turned out, to seal the win, 82-74.

No comments: