Thursday, November 21, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 11/20/19: Solitude, Makoto Fujimura, Corby's

1. After having such a full day yesterday seeing so many people, I enjoyed a quite morning sitting on the couch in the room/apartment I rented, drinking coffee, writing, and taking a break to walk to Rocket Bakery on 14th and Cedar and buying a mixed berry scone and and an oatmeal raspberry bar.

2. I texted Kathy and Mary that I wanted to spend the afternoon alone rather than getting together before this evening's big gathering at Corby's in Post Falls.

I sat for quite a while in the Forza Coffee Company, drinking coffee and water and letting the events of the past day sink in.

After an hour or so of sitting still, I drove to the Jundt Art Museum and spent time slowly contemplating the paintings of Makoto Fujimura, the artist I heard lecture at Whitworth back in early October. His paintings are huge and abstract. I love abstract works like these, but, this morning, I don't have the words to explain either why I enjoy abstract paintings nor what I experienced being with Fujimara's works for quite a while this afternoon.

Maybe another time.

3. After going to Wasabi Bistro near Whitworth and ordering a bowl of won ton soup and a Bento Box featuring chicken teriyaki and a cali roll, I headed to Post Falls. Terry Bushnell had put out the word that a big get together of Kellogg High School grads was occurring at around 5 o'clock at Corby's and we had a huge turnout of mostly members of the Class of '71. I can't begin to list all the people who were there, but, for the first time, one of these get togethers included women from the Class of '71. Mary, Kathy, and Linda all came and they had a lot of fun. I slowly sipped on a couple of Miller High Lifes over the course of nearly three hours and listened in on all kinds of conversations, watched others from afar enjoying one another's company, and participated in conversations, too.  These get togethers at Corby's happen irregularly. Our last one had been in April, I think. It's hard to get people together when the roads get wintry, so it's possible that another one of these won't happen until again a few months into the new year. We'll see.  I can hardly wait.

No comments: