Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 01/07/20: No Heart Disease, Breakfast Nook Counter, Pasties

1. Back in November, when I was going through my annual routine transplant list renewal tests, my echocardiogram showed some obstruction in one area of my heart. It just didn't seem right. Those who viewed the results thought that possibly I wasn't properly hydrated and so ordered limited echocardiogram to explore this one area again, urging me to hydrate better before hand.

No sweat.

Today, as I drove from CdA to Spokane Valley to get this echocardiogram done, I drank two 32 oz bottles of water!

It worked!

I had the echocardiogram done and sat for a consultation with Dr. Boulet afterward and he assured me that I did not have any heart disease. He showed me, using a 3D model, where the mild problem lay and explained that I need to be drinking about two quarts of liquid a day and to be sure not to avoid diuretics.

A few years ago, I passed out in our apartment home in Maryland. I saw my nephrologist afterward and he determined it was from dehydration and took me off the diuretic I was taking at the time. I told Dr. Boulet about this (he asked me if I'd ever passed out) and my story confirmed just what he thought.

I left the doctor's office relieved and happy that these two doctors, one in Bethesda and the other in Spokane Valley agreed about the dehydrating effect of the diuretic. (I was taking the diuretic as a way of controlling blood pressure -- and going off of it had no negative impact on my blood pressure.)

2. I was also very happy that the unusually warm conditions we've experienced lately, and the rain, meant that driving to Spokane Valley and back was very easy.

I felt free to diddle daddle a bit coming back.

I stopped at my favorite comfort food spot in CdA and, having not eaten all day long, enjoyed an order of eggs benedict at The Breakfast Nook.  I sat at the counter where I always enjoy watching the efficient and friendly employees work, handling a high volume of orders and working together cooperatively.

3. Back home, later in the afternoon, Debbie and I started talking about Charly and money and travel and we decided our conversation would go even better with a cocktail. I mixed Debbie a Manhattan in the shaker and poured it for her and I treated myself to a dirty martini, stirred not shaken.

Around 5:15, Christy popped over. She and Teresa went to Mary Alexander's house in Mullan and learned how to make pasties. I guess they learned really well because they made 44 of them! Christy brought each of us a fresh and still pretty warm pastie. Debbie and I agreed: it made for a superb dinner. Later, I wondered if we might not enjoy a little more food and so I popped us each a bowl of popcorn and it really hit the spot.

On the college basketball scene, I watched Providence gut out a tight 81-80 road win over Marquette in OT. Providence is the surprise first place team in the Big East right now.

I then watched Villanova overcome an early double digit deficit and eventually prevail over Creighton, 64-59.

These were both intense games, hard-nosed, exciting, with admirable performances from all four teams. It was a joy to watch them.

No comments: