Friday, January 10, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 01/09/20: Another Kidney Update, Trip to Fred Meyer, Celebrating Christy's Birthday!

1. When I had my routine annual battery of tests and blood work done back in November at the Transplant Center at Sacred Heart, my labs showed that my kidney function had dropped to 13%, down from 17% just two months earlier. It didn't seem right and, as with my skewed echocardiogram that day, the professionals at Sacred Heart thought the lower number was likely because I wasn't properly hydrated.

Today, I went uptown, hydrated, to have blood work done in advance of my appointment on Jan 15 with the nephrologist from Kootenai Nephrology. The results arrived in my inbox soon after midnight and my kidney function had improved to 15%.

Now, keep in mind, those of you without Chronic Kidney Disease do not want to find out your kidney function is at 15%, but, for me, it's pretty good news. That my kidney function numbers have been ranging between 13 and 17% over the last couple of years or so means that my condition is pretty stable. The hope every time I have blood work done is that my kidney function has not dropped precipitously.

Mine hasn't.

I'll be seeing a new nephrologist on Wednesday. Dr. Jones, whom I'd been seeing, moved away. I'm hoping the new doctor will read these results with the same optimism that Dr. Jones did and that my previous nephrologists have expressed when they've seen similar blood work.

The best news is that I feel great. Yes, as I always do in winter, I feel under-exercised, but I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms of chronic kidney disease -- and never have. 🤞

2. After having my blood drawn, I headed to Coeur d'Alene to do some shopping for Christy's birthday. On the way, I stopped at the The Goose 'n The Tree Fresh Baked Cafe and ordered a splendidly prepared vegetable Eggs Benedict.

I drove on over the clear roads of the Fourth of July Pass into Coeur d'Alene straight to Fred Meyer, hoping I could find all that I wanted there.

I did.

I enjoy walking the aisles of the CdA Fred Meyer store. I looked at kitchenware, glassware, bed sheets, blankets, rugs, picture frames, and other things, turning over in my mind just what I wanted to buy Christy for her birthday.

My search and thinking was pleasantly interrupted when I ran into Mike and Wendy Hei. Wendy and I both graduated from the Class of 1972 and I hadn't seen her since the summer of our 20 year reunion. I just saw Mike nearly two months ago at the last big get together at Corby's. We yakked for about twenty minutes and I continued to wander around the store. As I made my way to the Murray's cheese counter, I saw fresh tulips. Christy loves tulips. So I bought a couple of bunches and a birthday card, happy with the success of my trip.

3. Back in Kellogg, Debbie, recovering from four hours of dental work, and I ate a variety of cheeses from Murray's -- we ate Caveman Blue, IPA Cheddar, Drunken Goat, and Humboldt Fog cheeses with sea salt and olive oil crackers -- and we split a bottle of Pinot Noir.  I loved the cheeses, especially the Caveman Blue.

Around 7:00, I went next door to Christy and Everett's to watch the Zags discombobulate U of San Diego. The final score was 94-50.

At halftime, I went home and Debbie and I brought a little birthday party back over to Christy. We gave her the tulips. Debbie had made her a lovely piece of art to hang on her wall. I bought red velvet cupcakes with a sour cream frosting and we all had one. They were awesome!

It was a fun way to celebrate Christy's birthday and added nicely to the dinner we had on Sunday and the birthday time she spent with Carol today in Wallace. On Saturday, she gets to celebrate again with girlfriends, including Debbie and Carol, when they get together for a lunch at CM's house. 

No comments: