Friday, January 31, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 01/30/20: At Last a Hike, Leftovers, Zags Win; So Do the Terps

1. The snow has pretty much melted off of The Trail (as we used to call it) that runs along the west side of the hill behind the medical center from Riverside/Mission Ave. to the high school. Today I walked on The Trail to the start of the medical center's Wellness Trail that goes up that hill to see if it was clear.

It was.

I hoped it wouldn't be muddy.

It wasn't.

As a result, as if I were having a reunion with a great pal, I hiked the Wellness Trail, gave my legs a pretty good workout, got my heart rate up, and got winded, but not desperately out of breath.

If this warmer weather holds for a while longer, I look forward to more hikes on this trail. It felt awesome to get my old bones in motion again.

2. That rice salad I made for family dinner on Sunday is delicious rolled, with salsa, in a browned flour tortilla. The chili mac casserole has also been a tasty leftover throughout the week -- and I still have some more in the fridge.

3. Because I subscribe to Fubo, an internet television service, and because CBSSN is one of Fubo's offerings, I was able to watch the Zags (the men) defeat Santa Clara last night, 87-72. It was a costly win for Gonzaga and a hard fought one. Early in the game, Gonzaga's Killian Tillie crumpled to the floor after rolling his ankle. He was helped off the floor to the locker room, returned a bit later to the bench, but did not return to play. That's what was costly in the Zags' win.

Why hard fought? Santa Clara played with determination, had some streaks of hot shooting, and made Gonzaga work hard for this victory -- much harder than when they lost to the Zags by 50 points two weeks ago. Gonzaga had a lousy night shooting from the perimeter, but made up for it by scoring 62 points in the key, a remarkable number and a game saver for the Bulldogs.

I was actually more interested in an earlier game in College Park, MD between Iowa and Maryland. Maryland has had few subpar performances on the road -- one of them was against Iowa --, but tonight, at home, Maryland played with great energy and their star tandem of Anthony Cowan and Jalen Smith played brilliantly, leading the Terps to victory, 82-72. I regret that I never attended a home basketball game when I lived only about fifteen or twenty minutes from College Park, but just seeing Maryland play at home stirred a host of great memories of things I enjoyed at College Park: worshiping at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, hiking trails in and around College Park, enjoying bagels and coffee at the Bagel Place, taking an occasional stroll on campus, eating breakfast, just once, at the now demolished Plato's Diner before it was destroyed in a fire and razed to make room for new development, and eating from time to time at the classic College Park Diner.

No comments: