Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 01/13/20: Winter Workout, Fish Chowder, Acorn TV

1. I haven't been hiking since winter hit. I miss the activity and the exercise. Today, however, I got my heart pounding a bit and got a little bit winded shoveling the several inches of medium heavy snow off our sidewalks, off Christy and Everett's, and off our driveway.

2. I thawed a quart of crab stock. I finely chopped and sauteed garlic, an onion, a couple carrots, and some celery. I poured a couple of teaspoons of flour over the vegetables until the mixture got pasty. Next came the crab stock, about a quarter of a cup at a time, and I added a small head of chopped cauliflower florets (a sub for potatoes). Once the cauliflower was tender to the fork, I poured in a load of shrimp and pieces of cooked salmon burger and added about a half to three quarters of a cup of half and half. I heated it up.

Debbie and I thoroughly enjoyed our fish chowder.

3. I learned this evening that Debbie had recently subscribed to Acorn TV through Amazon Prime.

This meant one thing for me: a return to Foyle's War. I don't actually remember which episodes I saw a few years ago so I just jumped into an episode tonight centered on the death of a conscientious objector while he was in police custody. It was a whopper and dealt not only with Foyle's investigation, but with several other aspects of WWII: children evacuated from London, xenophobia, cruelty toward conscientious objectors, and a coffin factory, among others. Foyle was most impressive as he calmly and rationally got to the bottom of the murders he was investigating.

Acorn TV also carries Slings and Arrows. I decided to jump into the third season and start watching episodes built around the New Burbage Festival mounting of a production of King Lear.

No comments: