Saturday, February 13, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02-12-2021: Luna and Copper Are Not Corgis, Linda's Visit, Thai Beef with Peppers BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might remember that our treasured corgis, Charly and Maggie, scream barked when I vacuumed. Because of their scream barking, I put off vacuuming as long as I could and then braced myself for high decibels and, sometimes, Maggie's lunges at and her attempts to bite the vacuum cleaner. 

So, I wondered today, as I brought out the Shark, how would Copper and Luna respond to me vacuuming? Would they scream? Yowl? Hiss? Caterwaul? Snarl? Growl? 

I failed to consider one option: act like nothing was going on.

That's what Luna and Copper did. They established themselves as above the indignities of Charly and Maggie's hyperactive panic. They calmly, cooly watched me, slightly bored, and gave no indication that they would deign to allow their peaceful existence to be ruffled by a silly machine.

2.  Linda was in Kellogg to run some errands, including bringing Christy and me scones and books. She was also paying Copper and Luna a visit. I offered to mix us each a dirty martini, but Linda declined because she was going to be inoculated for Covid-19 at Wal-Mart a little later on. I was happy that Luna and Copper were pleased to show Linda how contented they are. Copper curled up much of the time in his now favorite chair and Luna camped on my lap during much of Linda's visit. Linda and I talked about a lot of things and had a really good visit. 

3. Back on September 20, 2020, Hugh and Carol Crozier and Stu joined Christy, Carol, Paul, and me for family dinner.

Carol and Hugh came bearing gifts. They brought me a pound of Spicy Thai Linguine from Pappardelle's Pasta, located in Seattle's Pike Place Market, and a recipe for Thai Beef with Peppers.

I'm slow. For no good reason, I didn't make this recipe until today.

I'm sure glad I did.

The first thing I did was combine soy sauce, cooking sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, chili paste, garlic, and lime juice into a bowl. This was the marinade.

Then I cut a chunk of flank steak into thin pieces and marinated them well beyond what the recipe called for -- about six hours.

After Linda and I concluded our visit, I returned to the kitchen and cut up an onion and a red pepper and added some cayenne pepper to them. I cooked them up, set them aside, and put the steak pieces in the Dutch oven and let them sizzle for a while, turned them over, and sizzled them some more. I poured the onions and red peppers back in with the meat and poured the extra marinade over it and let this cook. Meanwhile, I boiled the linguine, saved out some pasta water, drained it, and combined as many of the noodles as I wanted in with the steak, red pepper, and onion. I thinned the sauce with the pasta water I held out. 

It was a very good meal and I have plenty left over and look forward to eating some more of this dish and I'm thinking I might make a red curry, borrow some of the flank steak from my leftovers, and serve the curry over some of the leftover Spicy Thai Linguine. 

Here's Stu's limerick:


Heroes come in all sizes and shapes. 
Can’t tell from looks or the tales of the tapes. 
They can save or defend, 
Provide guidance or mend. 
Not always dressed up in tights and long capes.

No comments: