Sunday, February 7, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02-06-2021: Mole Sauce Revelation, Breakfast Burritos, Cat Care

 1. Carol and Paul came over for a meet and greet with Luna and Copper. They immediately saw that I'm a lucky man to have the company of these two cats. We visited for a while. Paul left for a little while to shovel Christy's walk. (Normally, I shovel her sidewalks, but the last time I did both of ours, I hurt my back and so, for now, I'm limiting myself to only shoveling my walkways.) 

Carol inquired about my mole sauce and I offered her a taste. She liked it. I told her that I thought possibly in the future that I'd up its chocolate content a bit and also the sesame seeds and raisins. 

When I said that, I was laboring under a misconception.

For years now, I have thought that chocolate was a feature of mole sauce.

But, I was strolling around the World Wide Web, trying to learn more about mole, and I happened upon an article at Gastro Obscura entitled, "Everything You Know About Mole Sauce is a Lie".

I had fallen for the Big Lie of mole sauce -- the chocolate lie. I now know that mole sauces are, and have been traditionally, made with a wide variety of ingredients.

This fascinated me, so I went in search of mole sauce cookbooks.

I went over to bookshop.org and ordered myself a copy of Amazing Mexican Mole: Best Mole Sauces for Every Occasion

I had previewed the book using the "Look Inside" feature at amazon.com and read a few recipes and decided this would be a fun book to have and cook out of.

So, having been disabused of the idea that mole sauces all feature chocolate, I didn't change my mind about what I said to Carol. Next time I make a mole sauce using the recipe I used before from Cooks Illustrated website, I'm still going to increase the chocolate, raisins, and sesame seeds and see how it comes out.

2. Speaking of mole sauce, for breakfast this morning, I got out my container of the black bean/ground beef/corn mixture I made a few days ago, warmed it up, scrambled a couple of eggs, heated two flour tortillas, and made myself two wet breakfast burritos by pouring my mole sauce over the top of them. I think I'll have the same breakfast on Sunday morning.

3. I don't see anything visibly the matter with Luna and Copper, but I've decided it would be good for them to go to the vet for a thorough check up, just to make sure they are in as good of health as they appear to be. I think they both would benefit from some spa time, as well, so, on Monday, I'll schedule them visits to the vet and the groomer. I don't know that they will experience going to the groomer as "spa time", but my hope is that, in the long run, they will, in their own feline way, appreciate being cleaned up, brushed, and possibly trimmed (their nails had been trimmed just before they arrived at my house). 

But, maybe this is all about me! I know I'll feel better having taken them in! 

No comments: