Thursday, February 18, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02-17-2021: Search for Mom, Hamburger Soup, Next Whale Book

 1. I took a special pleasure in reading a book that I could finish in a day! Over the last year, I've read several (for me) long books (Bleak House, Pillars of the Earth, The Woman in White, and others). I am a slow reader and my reading stamina has diminished over the years. It takes me much longer to read a book now than it did, say, when I was a graduate student. 

This is all to say that I finished Lynne Cox's memorable memoir, Grayson, today. I very much enjoy stories about relationships between humans and animals, stories about the invisible bonds that connect beings to one another. 

When she was seventeen (about 47 years ago) Lynne Cox, a now world famous open water swimmer, was doing her routine swimming/training in the ocean near Seal Beach, CA when a lost baby gray whale visited her. Cox's book tells the story of the brief, but deep relationship that developed between Cox and the baby whale (she named him Grayson) and her efforts over several hours to reunite Grayson with his mother. 

2. I had thawed out a small packet of ground beef today. I browned it along with half an onion chopped. I added can of diced tomatoes, green beans, corn, chopped up potatoes, and chicken stock to the ground beef and onions, seasoned it. Before long I had a delicious soup to eat for dinner. I made myself corn tortilla quesadilla wedges to enjoy with my soup.

3. I decided to get going on the other whale book I purchased this month. It's entitled Fathoms: The World in the Whale. I haven't read a word about the book. Its author, Rebecca Giggs, is Australian and the book opens with a humpback whale stranded and dying on a beach near Perth. I'm not very far into the book, yet. I am eager to find out what this dying whale inspired her to pursue about whales and eager to learn more about this majestic mammal as I read on. 


No comments: