Thursday, February 25, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02-24-2021: Kellogg Motto: No Problem, Crab Stock Done, Last of the Wings

 1.  When Debbie and I decided to move to Kellogg in 2017, I committed myself to just accept that I wouldn't always be able to buy different grocery products or liquors I might want in Kellogg. After years of living in Eugene and then living in the D. C. metropolitan area, I was accustomed to being able get just about whatever I wanted near where I lived. I knew this wouldn't be true in Kellogg and I accepted that.  I committed myself to saying "no problem -- I'll adjust". 

Today, my good attitude got put to the test. I passed! 

Christy has planned a Greek dinner for Sunday and had hoped I could mix us the Greek mojitos I made about a year ago. This drink requires Metaxa and it calls for fresh mint. I picked up a little packet of fresh mint at Yoke's, but it was old, ratty, starting to go bad, so bad that the checker decided he couldn't charge me for it. My hope was that I might salvage enough leaves and sprigs to add some flavor to Sunday's mojito. But, alas, the Kellogg Liquor Store doesn't carry Metaxa. No Greek mojitos this Sunday. 

"No problem", I uttered to myself. "I'll adjust."

We'll have a tasty cocktail on Sunday. Will it be a cocktail, like a Southside, that includes mint? That's to be determined. Will I be able to make any of the mint I bought today work on Sunday? 

(By the way, I've put out an APB to Christy and Carol to see, if they should happen to go to the store in the next couple of days, if some fresher fresh mint is available!)

I do know this: true, I don't have Metaxa, but I've got a well-stocked bar and plenty of other superb options and we'll more than make due. We'll enjoy whatever drink I mix! 

No problem. We'll adjust.

2. After the crab stock had bubbled away for three days, I decided that this morning I would scoop out the crab shells and other ingredients and strain into containers my two new quarts of stock. My question now: should I use this stock right away and make (and freeze some) chowder and possibly some soup or should I freeze the stock? I'll decide today or tomorrow. 

3. I had about a half a dozen mole wings left over from Sunday dinner and I heated them up. They tasted better to me tonight than they had on Sunday. I don't know why.  Had I gotten used to this mole sauce after having three meals using it? Was I more accepting of it? Or did it age well and improve? Hard for me to say, but enjoying these wings this evening inspired me to look forward to making another mole sauce in the future (possibly using the brand new cookbook that arrived the other day: Amazing Mexican Mole: Best Mole Sauce Recipes for Every Occasion.) I am in the midst of a very low grade (and I'll say, healthy) obsession with mole sauce. 

No comments: