Friday, February 5, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02-04-2021: Yakkin' with Cas, *Rising Tide*, Learning About Luna and Copper

 1. Cas delivered some firewood to Christy today and I strolled over and yakked with him for while. I hadn't talked to him in person since last summer when Debbie, Tracy, Cas, and I had a pizza party out on the deck. I enjoyed talking about baseball, picking up a little local news, and learning more about what Cas has been up to, beyond what I knew from our frequent text messaging. 

2. My reading speed these days is very slow, but reading the book Rising Tide is very good. I am really enjoying reading about the efforts engineers made in the middle and late decades of the 19th century to bring the mighty Mississippi River under control and how much the science of this undertaking was corrupted by human ego/hubris, commercial demands, and the pursuit of political power and influence. In all things having to do with earth, wind, fire, and water, I am the most interested in just how much human beings can manage or control these natural forces. So far, in Rising Tide, despite the building of vessels meant to demolish sand bars, despite the construction of levees and jetties, and despite advances in bridge construction, I'd say in the battle between human ingenuity/engineering and nature, nature continues to have the upper hand. 

3. Quietly, each in his and her own way, Copper and Luna are settling into their lives in their new home. Luna loves being attached to me while I sit in the living room and read and watch college basketball. If she wants to be in my lap or on my chest while I write on my laptop, we have some physical negotiating to do. Copper keeps a little more distance, is wary of Luna, and spent much of the day resting and sleeping on the love seat. Our first full day together was quiet. When they meow, it often seems random to me, but as time goes on, I hope to understand better what they might be trying to let me know about. 

No comments: