Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 01-31-2022: Brief Snowfall, The Unsinkable Buck O'Neil, Copper's Acceptance Grows

1. I thought we might have a significant snowfall today, so I got right outside around 9 o'clock and shoveled the little bit of snow that had fallen off the sidewalks and it turns out the big snow didn't arrive and I was done for the day.

2. The stories Joe Posnanski tells about going from city to city during the 2005 baseball season with Buck O'Neil are fun to read. Over ninety years old, Buck O'Neil goes from city to city, town to town, to one baseball stadium after another, to luncheons, elementary schools, banquets, parking lot autograph signings, and other places to tell people about the Negro Leagues and to promote the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Buck O'Neil is consistently upbeat, congenial, effusive. He is grateful for his many years playing baseball, the many friends he made, and for his countless memories. Buck O'Neil never denies the indignities he and his fellow members of the Negro Leagues suffered, but he refuses bitterness and invigorates his every public appearance with love, generosity, and goodwill. 

If you saw Buck O'Neil in Ken Burns' documentary Baseball, you know how ebullient he was in that film and this book enlarges that portrait of Buck O'neil. 

Here's the book's title: The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America by Joe Posnanski.

3. Every night before going to sleep, I work on untangling some of the small knots of fur that develop in a few spots in Copper's fur. I comb these spots and pull the knots apart. I'm able to smooth them out without cutting Copper's fur with scissors. Copper sits patiently and calmly while I smooth out these knots. Day after day, slowly, surely, Copper has become a tiny bit more affectionate toward me. I don't think he'll ever be like Luna, who attaches herself to my chest every chance she gets, but Copper moves toward me, invites me to pet him, and presses against my lower legs when I'm under the covers more regularly now than he ever has. 

No comments: