Saturday, February 26, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 02-25-2022: Alone with the Grateful Dead, 50th Reunion Project, *Rain/Trains* and the "Duquesne Whistle" Replay

 1. I had the house to myself today. Debbie subbed out at Canyon Elementary. I was one day behind in my blog and it took me all of the morning to write two posts. The Grateful Dead helped my efforts. I replayed Jeff Harrison's Thursday night Deadish show. I also wrote Jeff an email telling him (or reminding) him of the pleasure I take listening to the Grateful Dead while sleeping and the wild and wonderful effect it has on my dreams. 

2. I'm working on a project for the KHS Class of 1972 50 year reunion. It's being held July 15-17, 2022 and I am figuring out whom I do and don't have contact information for and I'd like to see if I can begin to find out which classmates are coming, might come, and not coming. My initial plunge into this project wiped me out this afternoon and I joined Copper and Luna in the bedroom and enjoyed having them close to me or on me as I fell into a deep sleep -- without the accompaniment of the Grateful Dead! 

3. On Thursday night, I thoroughly enjoyed Daniel Mckay's episode of Hard Rain and Slow Trains: Bob Dylan and His Fellow Travelers. Tonight, when I hit the hay, I put my ear buds in and listened to this episode again. It's likely that this is an episode I'll come back to often. It focuses on the first track of Bob Dylan's 2012 album, Tempest, a song I'm falling head over heels for, entitled "Duquesne Whistle". The song itself has a lot of deep history and in this episode Dan plays train songs and other tracks from way back in time that significantly enhanced my enjoyment of "Duquesne Whistle" (written by Dylan and Robert Hunter). When Dan plays the "Duquesne Whistle" track from Tempest toward the end of the show, it bristles with energy, American music history, and, for me, romance, with sweet feelings roused by the sound of the train's whistle, by the thought of one's lover being on board, and by having the whistle blow my blues away.  

No comments: