Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 02-07-2022: Tidying Up the Garage, *The Underworld*, Chili for Family Dinner

1. Debbie and I order food products and other things delivered to our house. The empty cardboard boxes start to pile up in the garage.  I like to keep the garage as tidy as possible and so today I loaded up a bunch of boxes in the Sube and took them to the transfer station and recycled them. The pleasure I derived from getting this done far outweighed the effort it required or its significance.  😂

2. Kevin Canty of Missoula wrote a novel about the Silver Valley in 1972. I'm not far in, but I've just reached a place in the story where two miners smell smoke in a mine. If it's not the Sunshine Mine, it's a fictional mine that is very similar (doesn't really matter, I guess). The novel is entitled, The Underworld and, unlike the first time I started this book, this time I will not get distracted and I'll read it to the end.

3. Christy, Carol, Paul, Debbie, and I are back into our regular family dinner schedule. For the time being, so that we can spread out, we are having our dinners at Carol and Paul's roomier house. We started by choosing between hard cider, hard seltzer, or beer and I drank a can of refreshing BrightCider from Two House in Corvallis. Carol and Paul were in charge of dinner. Carol made a delicious chili with kidney beans and ground beef. She seasoned the chili with a variety of spices including cloves. I enjoyed how it tasted both traditional (like Mom used to make!) and unique, somewhat similar to the sauce we used when we ate Skyline chili with Patrick and Meagan. Christy prepared delicious potato skins and Debbie prepared a perfect pie pan of cornbread and a tasty cabbage salad. Carol thawed out rhubarb she had cut from our back yard last year and made a delicious rhubarb pie, a tart and pleasing dessert. 

I gleaned from our family conversation last night that Christy, Carol, Paul, and Molly have all recovered from their January illnesses. Everyone's energy was good and it sounded like family members are enjoying their routines of dog care, television viewing, reading, and other normal day to day things. Molly wasn't with us this evening. She is on a trip out of town this week. 


No comments: