Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 02-15-2022: Refreshments in Wallace, Villanova Defeats Providence, Superb Soup

1. Debbie had some business to take care of in Wallace. Debbie completed her task and I visited Todd's Coffee and Bookstore in the Blackboard Market. I ordered a blueberry muffin and a 12 oz Americano topped off with half and half. The muffin was flavorful. I prefer denser muffins, however, to one's that are more like cake -- but, my limited experience in the Silver Valley has taught me that no matter where I order a muffin, it will be light in texture and resemble cake. I enjoyed my snack and, once I finished it, I realized that if I moved to a table near the window, the light was much better for reading and so I hopped over by the window and continued reading The Songlines.

2. Later in the afternoon, I flipped on the Vizio to watch the top two teams in the Big East, Villanova and Providence square off in Rhode Island. While the entire game was close, Villanova led almost the entire way, stubbornly defending its slim lead and time and time again when it looked like Providence might surpass the Wildcats, Villanova -- well, primarily Collin Gillespie (33 points) -- either made a crucial shot or warded off the Friars with a defensive stop. Providence scored most of their points from the field in the paint and had they complemented their inside prowess and drives to the cup with even an average number of conversions from beyond the arc, I think they would have won this game. But, alas, Providence shot their three pointers poorly and ended up losing to Villanova, 89-84. The two teams clash again at Villanova on March 1. 

3. Debbie thawed both a container of our homemade turkey stock and a container of turkey soup and made a delicious kale, turkey, and potato soup for dinner, a welcome source of warmth and comfort on a chilly day. 

No comments: