Monday, February 14, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 02-13-2022: A 2021 Bob Dylan Retrospective, Imagine Golf Played During Dollar Pitcher Night, Pasta Dinner

 1. With the improved weather and less snow on the streets and sidewalks, the conditions are much better for taking walks. I'm hoping I switch soon to every day, but currently I'm going for a stroll every other day. It turns out my legs need a day of rest on the off days. My idea to listen to past editions of Hard Rain and Slow Trains: Bob Dylan and Fellow Travelers while walking has turned out to be a deeply satisfying decision.

I'm giving Bob Dylan's music more attention than ever thanks to Dan Mackay's podcast. I'm enjoying how Dan plays tracks from throughout Dylan's recording and performing career. Dan's commentary is informative and illuminating. 

Today I listened to the last episode of 2021, broadcast on 12-30.

Until listening today, I had no idea what had happened in the world of Bob Dylan in 2021, nor did I know that so many people connected to him in the world of music had died last year. 

Of course, I didn't take notes while walking and many of the names of the deceased are unfamiliar to me, but Dan played tracks that featured some of these musicians. (Oh! Wait! One of those who died was bassist Robbie Shakespeare. The one Dylan album I have a long history with is Infidels. I love Robbie Shakespeare's work on this album.)

I enjoyed all the music Dan played and especially enjoyed being introduced to "Key West (Philosopher Pirate)". It beguiled me. My plan is to return to it often. 

One last thing: I didn't know that Jeff Harrison had, in 2021, appeared as a guest on Dan's show. I don't remember the exact date, but I'll go back to this episode, listen again, and make note of the date of the Jeff Harrison episode. I'm eager to hear what Jeff and Dan said to each other in conversation.

2. Even those who are entirely apathetic about professional golf probably know that week after week professionals compete in a hushed environment. Tournament marshals signal for the gallery to be quiet as players prepare to hit shots off the tee, from the fairway, rough, or bunkers, and as they putt.

Not at the Waste Management Phoenix Open played on the TPC Scottsdale course. 

The tour's most raucous spectators, fueled by beer and other libations, pack themselves into three levels of grandstands enclosing the 16th hole and the players perform while the roaring never stops. This weekend I saw replays of two players acing the 16th hole. Exuberant, intoxicated spectators sprayed beer all over each other and down to the course itself and spectators threw beer cans and cups onto the course. It's crazy!

I watched the last several holes of today's final round. The tournament ended in a tie between Patrick Cantlay and Scottie Scheffler and, for the playoff, they played the 18th hole three times. It was sudden death.  Scheffler won it when, on the third playoff hole, he sank a birdie putt of about 25 feet and Cantlay missed a shorter birdie attempt. 

3. For dinner, I put some chopped garlic in hot olive oil. Once it was fragrant, I added diced tomatoes, black beans, half an onion chopped, and a hunk of butter into the sauce pan and let this cook and simmer for about 40 minutes. I boiled some penne, added some pasta water to the sauce, hoping it would help the sauce adhere to the penne. I grated some Parmesan cheese and that was our dinner tonight. 

No comments: