Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 09-06-2022: Luna Visits the Vet, Debbie's First Day with Students, *Poetry Break* and the Radio Star

1. Luna has not been well. Over the weekend and on into Monday, she was not eating and I didn't see any evidence that she had used the litter box (nor had she done any business outside it). Luna paid the vet a visit this morning and he did blood work, analyzed her urine, tested her glucose, and x-rayed her. No UTI. No change in Luna's kidney function. No thyroid problems. No sign of diabetes having returned. In all these ways, Luna is fine. Dr. Cook wondered if Luna might have some stomach/intestinal disruption and he gave her a couple of injections and assigned me to buy some Pepcid and start giving her about 4 mg twice a day. 

Dr. Cook instructed me not to feed Luna overnight. She could drink water. 

I'm writing this blog post on Wednesday morning and Luna ate about half of her wet food. I purchased some Pepcid this morning, quartered some pills, and put a pill fragment in some wet food. Luna ate it off of my finger. I decided to see if she would eat the rest of the wet food in her bowl off of my finger. 

She did.

This might be how I feed Luna for a while if she's not motivated to eat from her dish.

2. Debbie arrived home from school. She met with her students for the first time today. Debbie looked unruffled. She didn't have a lot to say -- things chugged along well. Some procedural changes are under way at the school -- for example, the cafeteria is in a different place from last year -- and so right along with Debbie, the students are learning how things will run this year and where things are located. 

3. Tonight's Poetry Break was, as always, superb. I enjoyed hearing Bill read the Lorca poem, "Little Viennese Waltz" (twice!). Leonard Cohen adapted this poem into his song, "Take This Waltz" which made me think of going to the Eugene downtown Broadway Metro movie theater and watching Sarah Polley's family documentary, Stories We Tell. That movie invigorated me and inspired me to rent her earlier movie, Take This Waltz which features Leonard Cohen's song during a surreal passage in the movie. Then, Lorca and Cohen and Polley got me thinking about my favorite scene in Take This Waltz, featuring the movie's lovers on an amusement park ride while the soundtrack played The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" and, once again, as I always do when I hear or think of this song, the line "We can't rewind, we've gone too far" repeated itself in my mind and I thought of times in my life when I thought another person and I could dispense with what had happened between us and just start over or we could act like what transpired between us never happened, and in every case, starting over or just forgetting was impossible. 

We couldn't rewind. 

We'd gone too far. 

No comments: