Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 09-27-2022: I Was Profiled in *The Whitworthian*, Tonight's *Poetry Break*, Learning from Imogen Sara Smith

1. It's become a Whitworth week for me and I'm all for it!  After my robust email exchange with Deborah on Monday, this evening Krissy C. sent me an article she found online from the Whitworth student newspaper, The Whitworthian. It profiled me! I worked at Whitworth as a Chaplain's Assistant the school year after I graduated (1976-77) and then taught as a part-time instructor the following year (1977-78) and the paper decided to do a story on me being an alum who worked at the college. I'd 100% forgotten about this story and it was fun to read it again and remember that first semester of my four million year career as an English instructor.

2. Well, lo and behold, Krissy sent me that article after tonight's Poetry Break, hosted by Bill Davie. Coincidentally, Bill Davie was a student in the Writing I course I taught that fall of 1977 and I enjoyed the intersection of Krissy sending me the story, Krissy having been in the virtual audience this evening for Bill's Poetry Break, and that Bill had been in the first college English class I ever taught.

I arrived late at tonight's reading -- Debbie had had a meeting at school and we didn't eat until close to seven o'clock, so I was preoccupied with fixing dinner, dining, and yakkin' a bit with Debbie.

I enjoyed the part of the program I got to hear. It was especially interesting to hear where Bill has been going with his "Old Manhood" poems and to hear Bill read Jack Kerouac's poem in twelve choruses,  "Desolation Blues". 

3. I swear, if Imogen Sara Smith was the presenter on a Criterion video discussing The Three Stooges in Orbit, she'd make the movie come alive with fascinating insights and background. Tonight, I listened to her presentation on Leave Her to Heaven for the second time. I'll watch the movie on Wednesday or Thursday. Later, I listened to her insightful and adoring presentation on the acting career of Myra Loy and I immediately wanted to watch every Myrna Loy movie ever made. 

Imogen Sara Smith has been my favorite discovery of the year. Listening to her tonight once again invigorated me and further expanded my knowledge and understanding of classic Hollywood movies. 

No comments: