Saturday, September 10, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 09-09-2022: Luna's Showing Her Age, Debbie Completes Week One, James Wong Howe's Pictures in *Whipsaw*

1. Luna might not be eating quite as much as I'd like, but after a couple of days of me taking her food dish to her, she is going to the dish on her own and, overall, she seems to be doing better. I have never known, really, when Luna was born. The vet has made some estimates about how old she is. I often wonder if Luna is showing natural signs of aging. 

2. Debbie arrived home tonight tired and in good spirits after her first week with students at Pinehurst Elementary. We decided not to go out for pizza or burgers at the Elks. Instead, I hopped down to the Humdinger and we each had a burger and some fries on the patio. After we ate, Debbie went next door. Christy is deeply knowledgeable and vastly experienced as a teacher and she and Debbie have great conversations about working with children, especially in a public school setting. Christy has continued to stay engaged with public school education in her retirement and it's awesome that she and Debbie can hash things out together. 

3. I had started watching one of James Wong Howe's early outings as a cinematographer yesterday when I watched the first, oh, half an hour of the Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy movie, Whipsaw (1935). Today, I started the movie over again to make sure I had the first half hour down pat and enjoyed the way it blended a jewel (pearl) heist story with a romantic comedy. Most of all, though, I was interested in James Wong Howe's work as the Director of Photography. I was most impressed with his work in lowly lit scenes during a terrible nighttime rain storm, a storm that forced the Tracy and Loy characters to take refuge in a home where a woman was about to give birth. I was also impressed with how deftly Howe photographed a shoot out in a small town cafe. The action was fast in a claustrophobic space and Howe, along with the movie's editor, kept the action well-defined and full of suspense. 

I'm enjoying watching movie after movie of James Wong Howe working as each film's cinematographer and beginning to gain some understanding of how he earned such a stellar reputation for his work. 

No comments: