Monday, September 26, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 09-25-2022: Film Noir = Old Lewiston Grade, Perry Mason = Genius, Team USA Prevails

 1. At this point in time, whether I've heard of the movie or not, I am recording the Saturday night (repeated on Sunday morning) showing of the Turner Classic Movie program "Noir Alley". I definitely hadn't heard of this weekend's offering entitled, I Love Trouble (1948). It features Franchot Tone (I just saw him opposite Bette Davis in Dangerous) as a private detective who (as almost always happens in these noir movies) discovers that a missing person case he's agreed to pursue is a quagmire of exchanged identities, robbery, deceit, and murder and that it puts him in mortal danger. The plot has more twists and turns than the old Lewiston Grade and, having seen this movie once, I could never accurately summarize exactly what happens. 

But, that's how film noir can be. All the darkness, murkiness, and shadowy places correlate with the shadowy characters in this story and with the convoluted plot.

2. Coincidentally, before I went to bed, I watched an episode of Perry Mason that also featured two women who worked as dancers under the same name, a development which complicates a murder case and forces Perry Mason to use all of his shrewdness and reasoning to figure out. 

This episode gave me my second ride down the old Lewiston Grade!

3. I spent much of the day watching the Presidents Cup singles matches. I knew when the day started that it would be almost impossible for the International team to win this cup. While they had performed admirably on Saturday, they had fallen so far behind on Thursday and Friday that it would have taken a miracle for them to overtake the USA side today.

But, it was as if no one told the International side that their situation was almost hopeless.

They competed vigorously in each match today and I enjoyed the way the International players did all they could to make the USA's road to victory as difficult and challenging as possible.

The USA team was made up mostly of players either in the prime of their playing days or close to their prime and these players, in their mid to late twenties or early thirties, will enjoy this peak level of performance for several years.

The International team was made up mostly of players approaching their prime (one player, Adam Scott, is, I think, past his prime; Japan's Hidecki Matsuyama is probably in his prime ). I will be watching how these young players from South Korea, Colombia, Australia, Chile, Canada, and South Africa develop. It would be a blast if they mature into players who could go toe to toe with the USA and make this competition held every two years as competitive for four days as it was for the last two days this weekend. 



No comments: