Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 01/08/08: Let It Rip, Dog Soup, Returning Students

1. I felt a renewed sense of invigoration as I was trying to explain to my students in WR 122 that the fear and caution are the two most debilitating impediments to learning to write. A writer has to let it rip.

2. The Deke had some chicken and wild rice soup, made by Progresso, and she didn't like it. She told me it tasted like dog food. My eyes lit up. When I returned home from teaching my night class, I ate a bowl of the soup and was grateful that, given my recent history at the dog food can, this soup was a lot better.

3. Many of my students in WR 122 sections are students I worked with in the fall in WR 121 and I'm looking forward to building on what we started last quarter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never fail to crack me up!! I am sooo glad I give my dog dry food!! You are just the best!!

Katrina said...

You're so right about fear and caution; they're paralyzing, and so easy to give in to. I think that's why so many writers join up with National Novel Writing Month every November--the sheer number of words you have to write to keep up prevents your inner critic from doing his thing. :) It's very liberating!