Sunday, February 4, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 02/03/18: Grateful Dead Albums, Dog Food Prep, Zags at the Lounge

1.  Over the years, I've listened to the Grateful Dead in concert, on radio shows, on the XM-Sirius Grateful Dead Channel, via live shows played on tapes Jeff gave me or live shows archived online, and on streaming services that play random shuffles of Grateful Dead tunes. Many years ago I owned the Live/Dead cd, but, for the most part, I haven't listened much to Grateful Dead albums. Today, I asked Alexa to play both Workingman's Dead and American Beauty on the Echo Dot. They were beautiful. It all came back to me how much I used to wish I could go to a Grateful Dead show without the scene. I often wished I could have heard them in a small room, like WOW Hall, without all the hoopla that accompanied their shows, and just enjoy the music. Somehow, in the small venue of my imagination,  listening to these two albums in our little house gave me that experience -- or as close as I'll ever get.

2. I bought some beef stew meat and a sweet potato and some frozen green beans, among other things, at Yoke's today and came home and cooked up some homemade dog food for Maggie and Charly, hoping that it is more substantial than the kibbles we regularly feed them. I plan to feed them the homemade food with some kibbles at bedtime and pray that they won't want to eat again at some ungodly hour like 1:30 or 2 or 3 o'clock a.m. 

3. At Corby's Friday night, I found out that Jake and Carol Lee and Bucky and Debbie would all be at the Inland Lounge on Saturday to watch the Zags play BYU. I decided to go up. Ed came, too. Cas's son's name is Ben and Ben was in town with about eight friends for Super Bowl weekend and so I got to meet Ben and also was present while Bucky and Debbie and Scott Wise* reminisced about wild stuff from the old days, especially when all these guys went to Florida for Bucky and Debbie's son Travis's wedding at TPC Sawgrass in Florida.

The game was a good one.  After three straight years of losing to BYU in the Kennel, the Zags took control of this contest early on and fought the whole game to keep their lead and they did. It was a solid win for Gonzaga and a fun night with old friends at the Lounge.

*Scott's dad, Jerry, is one of the guys at Sam's on Friday mornings for breakfast.

No comments: