Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 02/06/18: Basement Geyser, Clean Up, Christy's Beef Barley Soup

1.  Our washing machine drains to underneath the basement floor and something in the drainage system is plugged. I was upstairs and heard rain falling in the basement and dashed downstairs to find a geyser shooting up out of the pipe that the washing machine hose goes down into. I turned off the machine.  The geyser stopped. Aside from water on the floor and dryer, there's no real damage and a plumber will come on Wednesday to assess the problem and, I hope, repair it.

2. I borrowed Christy and Everett's shop vac and sucked up most of the water off the floor and I took the laundry that was in progress out of the machine. I was going to take the laundry to Christy and Everett's but the clothes were so drippy and heavy that I decided not to carry them over. I'm trusting that tomorrow afternoon I'll have the washing machine back, and, if I don't, I'll go to the laundromat.

3. Earlier in the day, Christy invited me over to eat some beef barley soup for dinner. It's one of my favorite of all soups and Christy made expert use of leftover prime rib and a roast she took out of her freezer. The potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables were really good and the soup, bread, and cabbage salad wer a great comfort and relaxing after I'd had an unwelcome problem this afternoon in the basement.

No comments: