Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 02/26/18: Kindness at the Lab, Household Projects, Crab Stock Ready

1.  Back in 2015, once I'd been listed for a kidney transplant at the U. of Maryland, I started having monthly blood draws so that the transplant center always has a fresh sample of my blood. I developed an attachment to the people who worked at the LabCorp site I visited in Greenbelt, even though nothing much as far as conversation or anything transpired between the phlebotomist, Angela and me. Nonetheless, when I went the Greenbelt office for the last time back in September, 2017 and told the friendliest intake person ever at the front desk that I was moving and wouldn't be back, I got choked up. This all came back to me at the Shoshone Medical Center today because I'm enjoying my monthly jaunts to this lab to have my blood drawn. As I walked in, my favorite Kellogg phlebotomist was walking out. My heart sunk a little, but she I was uplifted when she recognized me and said, "I won't be drawing your blood, but Jeri will take care of you." And it all worked out great today.

2. Back home, I tended to the snow and ice that had built up over the last few days. I shoveled what I could and de-iced the rest and soon our driveway and sidewalks were clear and safe. Paul came over and tried to make it so that our garage door closes with the remote, but something buggy he hasn't figured out yet is going on. The door opens fine with the remote and works both up and down when we push the button in the garage. It just won't come down when we use the remote.  Odd.

3. I decided the crab stock I made out of one of the bags of crab shells I brought home from the Feb. 17th Elks Crab Feed had simmered long enough in the crockpot. The Deke bought me an implement in Eugene that is a good sized scooper with smallish holes -- it's kind of unnerving because it looks so much like the scoopers I used over the years to clean out kitty litter pans. But, no, this isn't a kitty litter scoop; it's the perfect utensil for scooping bones or shells out of a soup stock and I removed all the broken shells and filled a couple of containers with dark, sweet stock and now I'll figure out a soup or stew or chowder to make with it and soon I'll freeze the rest.

No comments: