Monday, February 5, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 02/04/18: No Party, Family Dinner, Postgame at the Lounge

1. I relaxed and napped for much of the day. I also pondered whether I should go uptown for the Inland Lounge Super Bowl party. I decided not to. Tonight Carol cooked and served family dinner and I didn't want to come to dinner after having drinks at the Lounge. I also didn't want to come to dinner with my clothes smelling of cigarette smoke. I would have enjoyed seeing Goose and Janice and Abbie and Kate and others who attended, but this was a good day to stay home, relax, clean up, and arrive at Carol's fresh.

Another reason I stayed home is that I no longer care much about football. I check scores from time to time because I like to at least be able to talk with friends about what's going on. But, a few years back, my interest in football as a spectator sport began to wane and has continued to. I kept tabs on today's game by asking Alexa for scores periodically and we kept a very casual eye on the score during dinner, so I know who won the Super Bowl, but it had no impact on me except as an interesting fact.

2. Carol prepared a most impressive meal, one that I didn't want to end and that I wanted to return to every day this week! At six, Carol mixed us each an orange-y bourbon cocktail that had a spot of raspberry jam in it. I don't remember the name, but the brown sugary sweetness of the bourbon blended beautifully with the citrus of the triple sec and the jam added a subtle sweetness that made it a tasty and no Party,very interesting cocktail.  I can't remember the name of the drink.

Carol prepared our dinner out of a recipe book of Mom's, Lost Recipes (here), that Christy had given Mom as a gift.  Carol served tomato aspic -- molded in one of Mom's copper molds --, meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, broccoli in cheese custard, and spoonbread. For dessert, Carol prepared the first cake she ever baked in her life, when she was about ten years old, a pineapple upside down cake.

3. After dinner, I drove east on Bunker Avenue and glanced uptown and saw that the neon martini glass and its blinking straw was lit up at the Inland Lounge and so I dropped in for two Rolling Rocks and to find out how the Super Bowl party went. I yakked with Bob and his son, Ben. I met a friend of Ben's named Corey and we yakked a while and then I sat next to Ron Delcamp for some more solid gabbing and called it a night. It was a good way to round out the day and I learned a lot about all kinds of interesting things from Cas, Ben, Corey, and Ron about Ben's daughter, Corey's move from Mississippi to Seattle, the Alien Conspiracy Escape Room in CdA, and developments in public transportation in the Silver Valley. I wasn't expecting to learn so much tonight, but, then again, I never know quite what might happen on any given evening at the Lounge.

No comments: