Thursday, February 1, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 01/31/18: Reading About Food, Charles Mingus and Jeff Beck, Writing Regularly

1. It was an odd thing to do, but while I fasted and prepared for Thursday's procedure, I spent a few hours reading from the cookbook, Salt Fat Acid Heat. Among other things, I learned more about fat and confit and emulsion and looked at recipes for turkey confit and homemade mayonnaise and dreamed up things I could make at home that would use this mayonnaise.

I had watched a bunch of episodes of "Chopped: After Hours" on Tuesday evening and so today I read more about sauces. Those chefs on "Chopped: After Hours" often use the ingredients on hand to whip up a quick sauce and I'd like to be able to do something similar, but am so much more recipe dependent than I want to be. I got my cooking notebook back out and made a record of some of the things I read about today and look forward to trying more different things in the kitchen.

2. I was listening to a jazz playlist compiled by Amazon.  Charles Mingus arrested my attention with his composition, "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". It's a elegy to sax player, Lester Young. In reading a little bit about "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", I learned that Jeff Beck recorded a version of it on electric guitar on his album, Wired.  I enjoyed that one cut so much I listened to the entire album and also listened to the entirety of Mingus' album, Mingus Ah Um. You can listen to Mingus' combo playing "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", here. The Jeff Beck version is here.

3. Ever since my sisters and I started writing blogs over ten years ago, we've tried out different ways to get ourselves to write regularly.

Christy has been trying out different approaches and I'm thinking she might have found what will work for her.  She entitles her regular posts, "The Shed Notebook". You can read what she has in mind for this project, here.  If you'd like to bookmark her blog, just go here.  When you go to Christy's blog, you'll see a featured post at the top. Scroll down and her daily posts will appear under the heading, "Life Lately".

About a year ago, Carol found her format for writing daily. She entitles her blog posts, "Gathering Graces". You can read what she had in mind for this project, here and scroll down to her third paragraph.  Carol posts her compositions regularly on her blog and if you'd like to bookmark it and check it out daily, go here.

If you follow my sisters' posts either on their blog or when they post them on Facebook, you'll also see that they are working on another writing project where they will do their best to write a poem a week.
Christy's first two poems are here and here. Carol posted her first poem, here.

I found my daily writing groove back in 2006 when I started posting as a part of a world-wide blogging concept called "Three Beautiful Things" and it's worked really well for me, long past the originator having shut down her blog.  I also contributed to "Sunday Scribblings" until the creators of that blog shut it down. So did Christy and Carol.

For several years we helped each other write by giving each other Sibling Assignments. I enjoyed that approach a lot, especially because it helped me get to know my sisters so much better and I thought their assignments were great prompts for getting some writing going.  Another fun things we did for a short while was Sibling Photo Assignments.  It's possible that we might get back to those projects again one day -- but maybe we have all we can handle underway right now. 


No comments: