Monday, February 12, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 02/11/18: Texistentialism and Other Music, Cruising Pinehurst, Spaghetti

1. I created a Jimmie Dale Gilmore station on Pandora. Later I listened to a live performance from the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville featuring Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, and Steve Earle. I also listened to  the entire Amazon playlist, "Steve Earle and More". In other words, my day was filled with some of my favorite American songs and performers including The Flatlanders, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Sun Volt, Merle Haggard, Ray Wylie Hubbard, John Prine, John Hiatt, and many, many others. It was a day of poetry, a variety of voices, fine musicians, and a lot of feeling.

2. Clorox makes this toilet cleaning wand with a disposable pad of bleach cleaner on the end of it that I like a lot. A while back, I ran out of the pads and I looked for replacements at the hardware and grocery stores in Kellogg without luck. Today, I wondered if Barney's True Value in Pinehurst might stock them and, if they didn't, I would go to Wal Mart. Barney's True Value had them. I whooped with joy silently within myself. Robin, who helped the Deke and me with our paint purchases during the remodel, saw me and took a few minutes to ask me if we were happy with the paint and smiled broadly when I told her we were very happy.

After purchasing the pads, I took a spin along the side of the golf course where I can see the first four holes and remembered how much I loved playing on this course many years ago -- I played my last round there in 1997 with Kenton Bird when I was home for our twenty-fifth class reunion.

3. I resisted the temptation to dive right back into my braised roast leftovers. I tore off one strand of beef to see how it tasted after a day in the fridge and I was taken aback by how tasty it is. But, I decided to delay my gratification and, instead, I made a simple and very satisfying bowl of spaghetti and diced tomatoes with a hill of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.

No comments: