Saturday, May 2, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/01/20: Lab Work and Stability, Correspondence, Salmon Patties BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I wasn't expecting results quite so quickly, but when I checked my email this morning, I noticed  Kootenai Health had sent me notification that the results from Thursday's blood work were available at my patient portal.

I took a deep breath. I needed to relax myself. The suspense grew as I logged in, opened up the results, and scrolled through the results.

I went straight to the Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR), the measure of my kidney function.

I discovered that since my last test in January, my GFR hadn't gone up or gone down.

It was still at 15.

Now, no one wants a GFR of 15.

It is the lowest possible number for Stage 4 kidney disease. It indicates severe loss of kidney function. Back in November, my GFR had dropped to 13, indicating kidney failure, but since I was feeling so good and the medical staff at Sacred Heart's Transplant Program had reason to believe I wasn't properly hydrated when I gave blood for that test, we decided to wait to see what things looked like in January.

In January, I made sure I was hydrated when I had my blood drawn. My GFR was 15.

The number reflected some improvement and stability.

That almost four months passed between blood tests and my GFR remained at 15 was an enormous relief to me today.

Stability.

I scanned my other numbers and compared them to my January results. Nothing had changed significantly at all.

More good news, for now.

I see the kidney doctor on Wednesday. I am pretty sure he, too, will be happy that nothing's changed much; he will tell me I should continue trying to lose some weight; I'll report that I'm back to hiking many days of the week; he'll like that and tell me to keep up the good work -- well, that's what I think will happen. I just wonder when he'll want to see me again -- in two months? three? four? one month?

Stay tuned.

Oh! Being active on the transplant list again means going to the Shoshone Medical Center once a month to give a tube of blood that is sent to Spokane and is on hand for testing, should a kidney come available and I accept the offer. Mine and donor's blood are tested in a variety of ways to make sure we are, indeed, a match. I had May's tube of blood drawn today.

2. Today was a good day for correspondence. I received a touching card and note from Barbie. I exchanged a flurry of emails with my transplant nurse. Two friends and I exchanged emails. Both exchanges invigorated me. Christy and I have been emailing about medical matters regarding her, Everett, and me. It's good to know that as Christy takes care of Everett as he gets closer to being ninety years old, that she has medical people she can call upon when she needs help and advice.

I'm not finished corresponding. I look forward to writing cards, emailing some other friends, and continuing the texting and personal messaging that's been so meaningful -- before the pandemic and certainly during it.

3. Debbie and I enjoyed another tasty dinner tonight. Debbie opened a can of salmon and made delicious salmon patties along with a splendid dill forward homemade tartar-ish sauce to put on the patties. She roasted sliced tiny potatoes and made another superb green salad. We had yet another terrific evening eating in and enjoying some cocktails together, yakkin' about this and that, and watching some television. We have developed comfortable and enjoyable routines since Debbie returned to Kellogg on March 18th. It's good.

Here's a limerick written by Stu:

Many a times while you chat.
The topic can turn to a spat.
You look back, shake your head,
And think of things that were said.
Then ask, "why did I say things like that?"



No comments: