Sunday, May 10, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/09/20: Mark Felt's Story, Little Gibbs, Time with Diane BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1.  It wasn't long today before I returned to reading Mark Felt's story, as told by Mark Felt (a.k.a. Deep Throat). Felt deeply admired J. Edgar Hoover. As Felt tells the stories about different times, especially in the Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon first term, that J. Edgar Hoover and the F.B.I. came under criticism from writers and activists, Felt is quick to defend Hoover, making his story almost as much an apology for J. Edgar Hoover as it is Mark Felt's story. As Felt rises in the ranks of the F.B.I. bureaucracy, his story becomes more and more intertwined with Hoover's. In this book, Mark Felt writes to put the most favorable light on himself and his career, so it's understandable that he would do the same for Hoover.

When I resume my reading, I will re-enter Mark Felt's story as things unfolded in 1972. Hoover died on May 2, 1972. Hoover's associate director, Clyde Tolson, retired from the F.B.I. on May 4th, leaving a vacuum in the bureau's leadership and countless questions about how the F.B.I. would move forward as an organization, especially in relation to the Nixon Administration. Police apprehended five burglars at the Democratic National Headquarters, housed in the Watergate Complex, on June 17, 1972. The F.B.I.'s mission and its independence would be tested mightily in the months and years to come. I look forward to reading how Mark Felt experienced and thought about those days after the burglary. 

2. Debbie and Diane Trecker agreed that Debbie and I would visit Diane in the late afternoon today for some drinks and to gauge our interest in picking out a puppy from Chloe's (Diane's dog) recent litter. Well, as good fortune would have it, Debbie was immediately drawn to the very puppy Diane had hoped we'd one day bring into our household. The decision didn't take long and some time late in June, we'll have a new dog in our household. He's currently named Marley, but we will call him Gibbs. He's a Mal-shi -- a combination of Maltese and Shih Tzu.

3. I've been very cautious about socializing over the last 7-8 weeks. I was happy that Diane, Debbie, and I began our time together on Diane's patio where I sat at a distance from Debbie and Diane. Once we moved inside, because Diane's living room is roomy, we could keep our distance inside, too.
We had a superb visit with Diane. She mixed us very tasty margaritas, served corn chips accompanied by her homemade salsa, and we enjoyed another snack later on. The three of us had a lot to talk about -- our lives as relative newcomers to Kellogg, family matters and family history, our thoughts about the pandemic, and all sorts of other things. It was a splendid evening.


I have an announcement to make: Stu decided a couple of days ago to take a break from having me post his limericks.  If he decides he wants to post them again, kelloggbloggin will always be here for him to do so.

Over the last months several of you have sent me emails praising Stu's limericks. Others of you have  expressed your enjoyment of them in comments on my Facebook page. Every day, I have passed your comments on to Stu and he is very appreciative of your feedback and your kindness. He asked me to relay his gratitude for all the positive things you have written over the last month.

I can't say if or when Stu will resume posting limericks here.

But, until he does, here's a limerick written by Stu:


In life, there's no dodging sorrow.
You don't "KEEP" time it's just there to borrow.
So, handle trials as they're given,
When knocked down, keep on livin'!
'Cause you don't know what's in store for tomorrow!


No comments: