Friday, May 15, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/14/20: Trip to the Dentist, Finishing *The Secret Man*, Red Curry

1. I live just a block west of the dentists' office and, with a spring in my step, I waltzed down the street, and, at 8:00, Kathy carefully and deliberately polished and cleaned my teeth and told me my home dental care routine was working. So, after getting a good report earlier in the month from the kidney doctor and my primary care doctor, I was happy that things are, for the time being, in pretty good shape, especially if I can bring down my blood pressure a little bit more.

Because I've been keeping a record in this blog of my response to the pandemic, I'll put the following down for the sake of one day looking back. I wore a face covering once inside the dentists' office. I know Kathy to be a conscientious professional and I trusted that she would be keeping her work area as clean and disinfected as possible.  She did, throughout my visit. Once she was done with my teeth, I covered my face again, paid my bill, used the hand sanitizer available at the counter and washed my hands, and strolled home.

2. I finished reading Bob Woodward's book, The Secret Man. Ultimately, Woodward's emphasis was on whether Woodward could, in good conscience and in accordance with general journalistic ethics, reveal the identity of Deep Throat. Mark Felt, in his late 80s and early 90s, was suffering from dementia, and was slowly outing himself to family members and to his attorney, John O'Connor. In the July, 2005 issue of Vanity Fair, O'Connor wrote an article that revealed Mark Felt as Deep Throat, forcing Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein to decide whether they would confirm the story. They did. The whole situation was very trying for Bob Woodward and he explains how and why in The Secret Man.

3. Tonight, I broke out a container of red curry paste. I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that red curry carries the most heat (note to myself: look this up). So, I was judicious in the amount of paste I put in this sauce. I'm very happy that I remembered that we have fresh ginger in the freezer and I thawed a thumb-sized chunk, peeled it, chopped it, and heated it up with the paste before I added the coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar to the paste and ginger.

I chopped an onion, chopped up some baby potatoes, and cooked them in the curry sauce until they were tender. When they were, Debbie added some frozen spinach to the sauce. I had made a pot of rice and we both thought this curry sauce over the rice was one of our best curries to date. Neither of us care for our Thai curry to be particularly hot -- we prefer mild to medium heat -- and this sauce was just about right, a hint of heat, but mostly creamy and the flavors of the spices were not dominated by the paste's peppers.


No comments: