Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/19/20: Buffering Bill Davie LIVE!, Lurching with *Bleak House*, Chef Debbie and *Shetland*

1. My live chat with Cory at Ziply was educational and I'll see if I can find a channel on the router that improves the internet performance. For much of the day, the internet connection was pretty good, but, to my disappointment, it was crappy during Bill Davie's weekly Tuesday evening performance. Mostly I experienced buffering and not much Bill. Disappointing, but he'll post his performance on YouTube and I can listen to it soon. I'll miss not reading comments as they roll in and adding a few of my own.

2. So I'm reading along in Bleak House and all of sudden the story focuses for many pages on the death of an opium eater, caused by opium overdose, in Krook's dark and greasy flophouse and the coroner's hearing the next day.  Then, suddenly, the next chapter switches suddenly to the Dedlocks returning to their pastoral life at Chesney Wold after a holiday in Paris. I really enjoy Dickens' cross cutting from one world to another, often one narrator to another, in Bleak House. I'm eager to find out what the significance of the mysterious opium eater's death is in the larger picture of this mammoth novel's overall plot. I think it's going to be a while before the various threads of plot begin to weave together, though. I don't read very fast and I'm still in the early part of the novel.

3. Debbie made this awesome mixture of diced tomatoes, eggplant, and ground beef along with a pot of quinoa with a chopped, leafless, salad as a side. I asked Debbie, given the great dinners she's made the last couple of nights, if I should retire from cooking for us! Debbie is on a roll.

After dinner and a some news programming, Debbie introduced me to the first episode of the first season of Shetland, a series that not only features a crime investigative unit on the Scottish islands of Shetland, but also casts the landscape and seascape of the islands as a rough, gorgeous, unforgiving, and raw character as well. The first season features only two episodes. We'll watch the conclusion soon.

No comments: